Was heisst "Entwicklungsroman" auf Englisch?

• Kann es nirgendwo finden. Vielleicht kann mir ja hier jemand helfen?
    Vielen Dank schon einmal!

Tell me
    ...and I forget
    Teach me
    ...and I remember
    Involve me
    ...and I learn
    Benjamin Franklin

• Offizieller Beitrag

coming-of-age novel. Manchmal auch ohne Bindestriche vorne und mit Großbuchstaben: Coming of Age - novel. Letzteres ist mir grammatisch suspekt, aber ich bin ja nicht das "Oxford Advanced Learner's"... :)

Lieber Gruß
    Meike

WE are the music-makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams,
    World-losers and world-forsakers on whom the pale moon gleams
    yet we are the movers and shakers of the world for ever, it seems.

• Vielen Dank

Tell me
    ...and I forget
    Teach me
    ...and I remember
    Involve me
    ...and I learn
    Benjamin Franklin

• ist das nicht auch story of initiation??
    Oder ist das nur etwas ähnliches, und nicht das gleiche?

LG
    Tina

• Ich hatte ja zuerst an das schöne englische Wort "Bildungsroman" gedacht und Randomhouse sagt, die sind gar nicht mal so verschieden:

"Well, the most important differerence is that Bildungsroman is relatively common in English and Entwicklungsroman is so rare that only a few hardcore types will know what it means.

The words, which are so close in meaning as to be almost synonymous, both refer to types of novels common in German literature that discuss the personal development of a single person, typically in youth. A Bildungsroman, from German Bildung 'education; formation' and Roman 'novel', focuses on the esp. moral and spiritual development of the main character. The definitive example is Goethe's Wilhelm Meisters Lehrjahre (in English, Wilhelm Meister's Apprenticeship), which greatly influenced later German novels. A more recent example is Thomas Mann's Magic Mountain.

If an Entwicklungsroman, from Entwicklung 'development', is any different from a Bildungsroman, then the difference is so slight as to be not worth worrying about. Some sources call them synonymous; some say just "the differences are slight," and some give them different but effectively synonymous definitions, e.g. "a novel of development" versus "a novel showing the development of its protagonist." I'd say that you probably don't have to worry about this one, unless you're a German-lit expert, in which case you probably know what it means anyway. [...]

Entwicklungsroman has some slight fame for being the longest word in English (it is found in a few English dictionaries) having each of the five vowels once and only once."

von hier: http://www.randomhouse.com/wotd/index.pperl?date=19970825

Give me a simple life
    With a book by the fire
    A stool to rest my feet on
    And a cushion for my head.

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat

Oder ist das nur etwas ähnliches, und nicht das gleiche?

Genau - da geht es um ein Initiationserlebnis - die Entwicklung muss nicht weiter beschrieben sein. Oft auch nur eine story, keine novel.

WE are the music-makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams,
    World-losers and world-forsakers on whom the pale moon gleams
    yet we are the movers and shakers of the world for ever, it seems.

Werbung